Tuesday, June 25, 2013

***


This post is for three tiny moments I want to remember.
Nothing special, or super out of the ordinary.
Just little snippets of life.

//one I fall asleep any where, at any time. It's a gift I perfected as a child that Kyle has gotten used to. When this happens, he usually just tucks me in a little tighter, then does homework or watches TV next to snoring, drooly me. The other night, however, he was the one to fall fast asleep on my couch and it was finally my turn to return all those countless times before. I tucked him in with a larger blanket, moved to the other end of the couch to finish my book, and promptly melted into a puddle.
There's just something about him when he's asleep that makes me instantly think he is five years old and all worn out from a day of adventures, you know?

//two Today was a gorgeous day, though the weatherman predicted rain storms, so I decided today we would go outside and frolic (or something.) Shortly after I got to Kyle's house, I was searching for information about a new sandwich shop that should be opening soon when the heavens opened and it started bucketing down rain. That's not too big of a deal, living in the PNW where it rains on a pretty consistent basis, but then thunder started rumbling and that was enough for me to pay attention. I turned away from the computer to see my cute boy kneeling on his bed, elbows resting on the windowsill, happily staring out the open window at the storm. All at once I wanted to perfectly capture this sliver of time, totally regretting leaving all THREE cameras I have out in my car, and scheming on how I could sneakily take a photo with my crappy phone without him noticing. Instead, I just left the computer and knelt down beside him. He wrapped his arms around me and we watched the rain together.

//three We have a tradition of going to the movies every Tuesday, because our local theater has discounted tickets. Our routine is simple: buy our favourite glass bottle sodas from QFC, smuggle them into my purse, head over to the movie theater early to get the seats with the bar, prop our feet up and enjoy the show. Kyle pays for tickets, I pay for soda and candy. I fell asleep today, so I was running late, and since I was meeting him there I didn't have time to stop at the store. Instead, I grabbed two white nectarines out of the fruitbowl on my kitchen counter. When the movie started (Monsters University, for those who were wondering) I reached into my bag and pulled out the nectarines with an apologetic smile. His entire face lit up and quietly exclaimed "Best idea ever!!" We then proceeded to chomp and slurp our overripe fruit, the juice running down our arms, making us beyond sticky and beyond happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment